
last night I discovered
I hurt my best friend badly
and I am very fortunate that she
valued our friendship enough to tell me
she could have easily decided to
keep her pain inside
let it brew
and at some point in the future
when it all accumulated
she would just blow and
that would be that
the friendship would not be salvageable.
instead she took a big breath
said " you hurt me badly"
and this is why...
I listened
took it all in
and broke apart into a
million little pieces inside
it wasn't intentional on my end
and she said she knew that
I had reasons to why it happened
but in the end they were just excuses
& to me those thing don't really matter
hurt is still hurt
if I aware I was doing it at the time
or not
she was bruised from my actions
and that is not ok.
it hurt me to hear it
hurt me to know I caused her pain
and that she cried as
she is not really a crier.
it took my breath away
and crumbled my tough
I know who I am
and what I stand for facade
in miliseconds
in the 15 minute walk home
I felt that I no longer knew
what operation be authentic was
or what I was really simplifying.
I dropped a ball
acted in a way that I didn't think was me
and I was lost.
I walked away from this creative outlet,
didn't feel like picking up my camera,
felt that I was no further ahead and even
maybe farther behind in being an
authentic, good person
and well, I cried
Scott just rubbed my back let me cry
and I threw myself a rather large pity party.
but at 3am when I couldn't sleep
I read a few of the comments left
and I felt a little warmer inside.
and later I read more of the comments &
they brought a different type of tears.
then...
the turning point
and what made me more thankful then ever
for the people in my life
my best friend called to make sure I was ok
I broke her heart and she was worried about me.
I was humbled
and I cried.
I can't promise her that
I won't fail her again
and I truly don't think she
expects a promise
she needed to tell me
I needed to listen,
acknowledge my mistake
and apologize
we both needed to do what
was the right thing
even though it was hard
if she can forgive me
then guess I need to forgive myself
accept ownership
try my hardest to not drop
the best friend ball again
pick myself up and continue this journey to be
the best person that I can.
I need this blog.
although last night I wanted nothing to do with it
and truly felt I would not be back for awhile
but today I think I know why I ran...
it forces me to address issues head on
& as I work through operation be authentic
I need to be honest
warts and all
and I knew you, my Internet community,
keep me accountable
and expect me to be true.
Even though I try to keep this forum
light and positive
I now realize it is important
to show that every once in awhile
no matter how hard you try
to be positive,
rationalize the bumps in the road
and find that silver lining
that you still will get the
wind knocked out of you
and the true strength is to
not run away but to face it
head on
and so I now know that I have made
headway in operation be authentic
and all is not lost.
I am still confused
and upset with myself
that I dropped a very important ball.
However, I am proud that I took ownership,
did not rely on excuses
looked inside and accepted that in this
situation I sucked
and that in retrospect there are a few other
things I need to work on
but I picked myself up
called closing time on the pity party
(with the help of a gracious best friend
& you, my Internet friends and family)
and did not run away (well, very far)
which a year ago would not have been the case.
That in itself is a check in the plus side
of Operation be Authentic.
thank you all and take care,
dee-ann
3 comments:
HUGS!
You and this blog are awesome!
And at the end of the day.... you always know who your true friends are.
Ditto !!!
~L~
Post a Comment