Monday, January 18, 2010

18/365 a return of What's for DInner?

Baked Mac and Cheese with a twist of healthy
day two of "Operation Healthy Family"
and I am glad I had to run out of bowling
while my family ate dinner tonight as I am not
sure what the feedback was on this
healthy overhaul of a family favourite.

If it counts for anything,
I really liked it and
it is nice and healthy
& there is lots for me to take for lunch tomorrow!

the ingredients:

dry breadcrumbs (3 tbsp) *extra virgin olive oil (1 tsp)* paprika (1/4 tsp)* whole wheat elbow macaroni (2 cups) *frozen spinach-thawed ( one 16oz package) * 1% milk (1 3/4 cups)* flour (3 tbsp)* shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)* low fat cottage cheese (1 cup)* ground nutmeg (1/4 tsp)* sliced tomato (1 medium) * salt & pepper to taste*

the how:

BOIL large pot of water.

PREHEAT over to 450 degrees.

SPRAY an 8 inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

MIX breadcrumbs, olive oil, paprika in a small bowl. SET ASIDE.

PLACE spinach in a strainer and press out excess water. SET ASIDE.

COOK pasta for 4 minutes (or almost tender), it will continue cooking during baking. DRAIN when done. SET ASIDE.

MEANWHILE, HEAT 1 & 1/2 cups of the milk in a saucepan until steaming.

WHISK remaining 1/4 cup of milk and 3 tablespoons of flour in a small bowl until smooth. ADD to HOT MILK and COOK, STIR constantly, until sauce thickens.

REMOVE from HEAT and stir in cheddar cheese.

STIR in cottage cheese, nutmeg, salt & pepper.

ADD cheese sauce to cooked macaroni. STIR.

POUR half of macaroni/cheese into the sprayed baking dish.

SPOON the spinach on top.

PLACE half of the sliced tomatoes.

POUR remaining macaroni/cheese on top.

PLACE remaining sliced tomatoes.

SPRINKLE breadcrumb mixture on top.

BAKE for 25 to 30 minutes.

~ I may try fresh spinach next time, not sure it will work, but I found the thawed spinach to have a strong taste.

~ this recipe was adapted from the Eating Well website (here)

~ per serving: 576 calories, 22 grams fat (11g sat) 63 gr carbohydrates, 37 grams protein, 9 grams Fiber

~ not an everyday meal due to the amount of carbs/fat but a real nice substitute to Kraft Dinner!

~ it states it makes 4 servings but I think it is closer to 6. I gave Scott a larger portion and still had enough for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: