Miss Shelby
me: Hey Shelby thanks for joing me even though you are not well (she has a nasty cold/flu)Shelby: wow mom are we on a game show
me: ha ha... there has been a request for a hard hitting Barbara Walters like interview (but no worries, without the tears) with you, my generation Y'er, getting ready to graduate and get out there & set the world on fire, so here we go...
Shelby: oh..I get the whole formal, thanks for joing me, just like a Barbara Walters interview...maybe I should get my own reality show but not like Paris Hilton.
me: ok you ready...
Shelby: ah yeah (said in that perfect 17 year old sarcastic tone that screams... ah duh, I'm sitting here looking at you) I am ready to get this party started as we are going to dance all night (singing with a little chair dancing, the cold medicine has kicked in)
what do you think is the biggest issue in our society today? we have so many, I would like to say the war, that seems to be a big thing but I think if people could just stop being mean to each other, we need to be like hippies and just all get along. I also think if we didn't lie to each other, you know just totally telling the truth...it would be so much better - everyone is always trying to please each other, and not hurt feelings but if you are just honest to people it would solve a lot of issues
How can we create change? ummm...for what, like everything in the world...ok for starts no more lies, be ourselves....we also need to stop analyzing skinny people thinking that is the way we have to look.
How will you personally create the change you want to see in the world? I will always treat people kindly, I will not idoize people like Britney Spears but people who are real and I will be myself and continue to make my mistakes...that is what we do...make bad choices and then learn from them
If there was anyone that that you could have dinner with (alive or dead), who would it be? Audrey Hepburn but there is just so many people I want to meet, I would love to have dinner with the Tragically Hip because they seem like they would be so funny. I also like having dinner with you and dad.
Do you have a mentor? and if so who is it? ummmm, any person, a woman who is strong, edgy and goes her own path, any one in my life that impacts me - I don't have just have one person...there are many different people, like you, who always support me, especially when dealing with mean friends.
What is the most important quality that people in your life need to have? they need to be at least nice, at least to me...they have to be funny - they need to make me laugh - as long as they are nice, treat me well and make me laugh then I want them in my life - I don't have time for drama
What do you think is a negative charasteric of your generation? that we think it is ok to text while working, it drives me crazy - if you are at work you should be working - I want to prove to people in your generation that we are not lazy. Also, it seems that if someone tells us we can't do anything, we believe them and don't even bother trying. It seems we only thrive if we have tons of encouragment - and can't just do it ourselves. Where, I thrive on negativity, like "you can't do this" and then proving them wrong
So you are saying your generation needs more tough love? yes..in some spots. Sure sometimes we need encouragment but sometimes we need to be told suck it up and get it done.
You mentioned that you think my generation (the older crowd) think you guys are lazy? is it a true assesmnet or perhaps our expecations are just too high? I think it's in the middle, we are perhaps too tech reliant and maybe are a bit lazy but I think you guys lump us all together, I had to do a whole CALM class at school on why your generation thinks we are lazy.
What do you think is a postivie about your generation? that we are open to more cultures - we are not so closed minded - it doesn't bug us if people are gays or lesbians, we are more accepting and open to change - that is why the USA has a black president, the younger generation is open to change.
Do you think the world is a good place? ummm, generally yeah I like my life, I like the world..but I wouldn't say it is a GREAT place, we have people starving, we have murder, we have bullying, we have people starving themselves as they feel they need to meet an unrealistic expectation of what skinny is, little girls are growing way too fast - with all that we can't say the world is great but we do have a postivie side, we have love, we have different cultures, we are growing as a society, we unite to change things, we are becoming a stronger society - everything has a good and bad - you can't have a great world without bad and good things - oh yeah we have diseases as well - put that in the bad things.
If you had a magic wand and could change just one thing in your world what would it be? hmmm...ummm...I don't think I would change anything. I think the good and the bad are needed, it is what it is. I wish perhaps I had a closer girlfriend but I mean I guess I can change that.
Staying with the whole magic wand thing...what would you change in the world? well, I would like diseases to stop and the war to stop but I don't think that will happen...if I learnt anything in social class it would be that.
So you don't think there is such a thing as world peace? to a certain degree, I think we can all get along, but I think it is our nature to have conflict. We have to argue and battle it out to get the good. When you argue with someone, you work things out and it gets resolved.
What is your one piece of advice for someone younger, for instance, a 9 year old girl? to not grow up too fast, enjoy little girl things, like cinderalla
me: Do you think you are a role model?
Shelby: no, I would like to be...I guess somewhat, I make mistakes and am not perfect but I would like to think that I am a good person - I would tell someone younger to go out and try things, make mistakes...ok, I guess I am one, maybe I don't feel like one, but I think I am and I hope that a little girl will look up to me one day
gee mom that was a really hard question, why did you have to get so deep. Do YOU think I am a role model mom? I guess I am when you look at my school struggles and working for what you want.
Me: I think you are, especially for your brother. I also think that you are a great representative for your generation as you want to work hard and be a postive contributer to society and believe that the world can be a good place.
Shelby: of course the world can be a good place we just have to work on it.
I am a good role model as long as you don't tell the kids I like Sex in the City as that is NOT very role modelish.
me: one last question
Shelby: Ok let's hear it. If you could have any pair of shoes...
me: well not really what I was thinking but since you brought it up, what is your dream shoes?
Shelby: I would love a pair of "make your own converse". I would also like a high heeled pair of sparkly girly shoes.
me: What do you want to be remembered for?
are you paying attention to me (as she is busy texting, good thing she isn't working : )
Shelby: ahh yeah (that "duh" tone of voice again)...I am a multi tasker!
Me: ok...back to my question
Shelby: I'm listening (you guessed it... same adorable tone of voice again)
Me: I already asked it
Shelby: What?
me: so you really weren't listening?
Shelby: you never asked one...what is it?
me: ok...What to you want to be remembered for?
Shelby: you never asked that...I interrupted you about shoes...
but it would be being a good mom and wife, and being the best person I can be. I am sure when I grow up I will have more things I want to be.
anything else you want to say? (mischievous grin, smile, evil glint in her eyes) nope...ok, maybe just that everyone should read Sarah Dessen books - they are cute girly romantic books that make me smile...as boys sure don't do what they say in her books, it's fun to read and escape!
thanks Shelby.
Welcome mommy, thanks for interviewing me.
4 comments:
We are so proud of both you and Shelby, Dee. That was a great interview.
Great interview. Thanks for fulfilling the request. As for the no tears thing...well I teared up. Still not sure why but I did. I hope McKenzie continues to look up to you Shelby. If she is half the person you are I will have succeeded as a Mom.
Sounds like a great kid there Dee! Can she be a role model for my almost 11 yr old?? Shelby is a very smart young woman! Keep up the good work!
Loved that interview Shelby/Dee. Shelby is Scarlett's role model, she talks about her all the time!
Post a Comment