Miss Shelby's 17th Birthday celebration
and what's the best thing to have for dinner on your birthday
ummm cake of course.
we also had mashed potatoes.
17 random facts about Shelby...
- her favourite colour is pink
- and favorite food is mashed potatoes
- is very easy going and likable. a definite people person.
- extremely loyal to her friends which as she has learned the hard way this year doesn't always guarantee things will work out the way you want them to.
- resilient
- sensitive, cares about the world and people around her
- an eye roller and shoulder shrugger (which drives me crazy & that is why I think she continues to do it :)
- until 2 years ago, Kaeden called her "this"
- eclectic taste in music, NKOTB, Metallica, Def Leppard, Tragically Hip, Taylor Swift, Pearl Jam, a bunch of bands I have no idea what their names are, other then they all sound like Fall out Boy to me, Billy Joel, ABBA...just to name a few
- had the curliest hair (full of ringlets) until she was 2
- her favourite pants when she was 4-6 year old were these bright purple spandex leggings, she wore them all the time and they truly were the ugliest pants around but you couldn't tell her that.
- broke her foot 2 years ago when her dad threw a frozen salmon at her (while they were cleaning out the freezer) and she panicked, shrieked, put her hands up to protect her face didn't catch it & it landed on the top of her foot - we called her fish foot for a very long time.
- used to practice her crying and pouting in the mirror when she didn't think we were watching (she was around 3 or 4 yrs old, hey who knows, maybe she still practices :)
- is great with children and has taught many a little girl (and boy) how to shake their bootie and have a dance party anywhere and anytime.
- makes a mean batch of chocolate chip cookies which I think she learnt from baking with Krista way back in the day at the old apartment building and pancakes, which she picked up from making pancakes with Grandma B at every sleepover and many Sundays.
- is not neat
- but rocks as a daughter. She put Scott and I through our paces very early as parents and Kaeden will have to thank her when he is older and can appreciate any decent parenting he received from us was a direct result of what we learnt from this little screaming bundle that we, 2 very young shell shocked newly minted parents, brought home a very quick 17 years ago. Who taught us... to be patient, how to block out noise by standing in the shower or turning the radio up real loud, to find and then embrace our somewhat unorthodox parenting style, to believe in what we think is right, to be crusaders for our children, to be strong, to have a support network and maybe most importantly, how to love unconditionally.
ps...I did not receive "clearance" to post the above picture as she is at the lake this week, there is a chance she may not be thrilled as there was no time for makeup or primping but hey, it's my blog and I will post if I want to (sung, off key, to it's my party and I will cry if I want to)
No comments:
Post a Comment