a busy day that started with a market visit,
an overwhelming amount of vendors in a rather small area,
I struggled with the crowds, the smells and the sights of a rat (dead), raw meat for sale, big wheels of stinky cheese for sale.
I have a feeling though that if I lived in San Vicente, I would get used to the market and
finding my way around, it is just nothing I have ever been in before. Unfortunately there are no photos of the market
as I put my camera away into our backpack, it was the first (and only time) during the trip that I felt unsafe.
it was then onto San Antonio for the Key Celebration,
a very special and emotional day for all involved.
saying adios to our new friends was probably the
hardest part of the whole trip for me.
Realizing there would be no "see you tomorrow".
Knowing that perhaps I may never see these people again
and will always wonder how there lives will be.
Are they safe? happy? have enough to eat?
The day ended with dinner with the Mayor,
well not really with the Mayor as he was held up at the office
as it was barricaded by protesters,
more like the Mayor bought us dinner and had a chance
to say a quick hello once he was released.
ummm, yep, these are just the type of things that happen.
No worries, there was still a Texaco trip, all ended well.
the day in pictures:
Carmen during the Key Celebration
Alexis, holding their housewarming gift of a blanket and hiding his pinanta candy from me
Many of the ladies fell in love with Diana (pronounced Deanna), her smile lights up her face and her eyes are always sparkling.
Scott asked Trent ( one of the leaders) who he could give to his tool belt to and it was decided that he would give it to Roberto (or Victor if you ask me, if anyone reading this knows his name, please leave a comment, it will end the debate between me and Scott)
Mr. Snowmen, one of 3 Pinanta's, I am not sure who loved this event more, the moms or the children!
Poor Mr. Snowmen, very little was left of him.
Our interperter, Carlita, and her favourite pinanta.
Sad Carlita with what is left of Strawberry Shortcake
Scott handing out the bag of toys we brought with us (bouncy balls, bubbles, rubber rings, paddles/balls)
Scott handing out the bag of toys we brought with us (bouncy balls, bubbles, rubber rings, paddles/balls)
oh boy the hard part, saying the final good-byes, Gord with his friend Rosa.





desperate times, desperate measures, making a Flames fan anytime I can. I gave this little boy my Flames hat.

I love this picture, especially the adults peeking around the corner.

the church in San Antonio

cows, in the road, so everyday by this point.

1 comment:
I'm 99% positive his name was Roberto
Post a Comment