
really? toilet paper?
it seems like such a staple.
I know I have never thought twice about it
but when I am told to make sure we pack 2 rolls
as most likely there will be none available and if there is?
we would be using a very expensive,
not easily obtained luxury item,
I realize that there are many things that I take for granted everyday.
as I thought about it, a few things came to mind:
a house, that is larger than we could ever need
and that house has a roof, that keeps out the elements and a furnace to keep us warm.
a car, that runs, without rust and no bullet holes
and the ability to take that car and go to a local grocery store and pick
up milk, eggs, bread without a second thought.
a school for my children
that is relatively safe
where they get to learn to read, write and play
and develop the skills to embrace all the opportunities that are available to them.
feeling safe,
I know there are times we might question this
but we have locks on our doors, security systems in place
an honest police force and a justice system that even though
we are frustrated by it, it has safeguards to protect us.
opportunity,
the world is our oyster,
we can do anything we want
if we try hard enough
this is the message we have received since we were babies
I am humbled by this and
have no doubt that even more so
when I see families that may not even have
access to the basics, never mind luxuries like school or toilet paper
however, I also wonder about the flip side...
what (if anything) do they take for granted? their weather? fresh food? tight, strong family units? a simpler, slower paced life?
this is one of the many questions I am hoping to answer.
I truly believe and need to always remember
these are people just like me.
We are all human. We all have feelings.
We are all trying to find our place in the crazy world.
The differences lie in that they have access to a different part of the world,
have their own unique culture
and have had different life experiences
but at the end of the day
they are no better or less than me
we are equals
with an opportunity to learn
from each other
I can't speak to what they may hope to learn from me
or what value I may bring them or
what if anything they will take from us meeting
but I have no doubt that I will
be changed profoundly
and perhaps they will help me more
than I will ever help them.
1 comment:
This is going to be such an amazing adventure. Bueno Suerte. Espero que tenga las respuestas que buscan al final de su adventura.
Post a Comment