Dear Shelby, you made it.
we made it.
for the most part
all in one piece.
18 years old.
wow.
an adult in the eye of the law.
ready to take on the world
but still the little girl with the
curly hair and purple spandex pants
in my heart.
As you have been told
numerous times since you were four,
my job was not to be your BFF,
that there would be MANY many times
that you would not like me,
but my goal was not a popularity contest
it was to get you to 18 years old
not pregnant, out of jail and not on drugs,
you throw in a high school diploma when
we were told it would not be possible
I think we will mark this down as a success
and the best part of it all?
we still like and LOVE each other.
for now I am still the "cool" mom.
To be honest you probably helped us
grow up and be who we are today
as much as we may have helped you
do the same thing.
We (you, me, your dad) have been been
very fortunate to have a supportive network of
friends and family.
I am not sure we would be sane
(or at least somewhat sane)
without them.
I know you are scared
not sure what the future holds
or what you should do when you grow up
but know, that I am scared too
I have never been a mom to an adult before
you may not have noticed this about me
but I can be a bit of a control freak and a worrier
and I can tell you this for sure
just like you do not receive a copy
of "being a mommy for dummies" book
no one just flips a switch that stops
me from worrying and wanting to protect you.
At this point though I have to take
that leap of faith that your dad and I
have prepared you and provided
you with as many tools as possible
to be successful
and when I say successful, you need to know
that success is defined by your rules
not someone elses.
You are the boss of you and no one can
tell you what you need to think and believe.
No matter what,
you need to know and
UNDERSTAND that your dad and I LOVE you
with all of our being and will always be here for you
and we are very VERY proud of who you have
become...
even if you can be bossy sometimes!
love mom and dad
ps. remember to make good choices during this birthday week extravaganza.
bonus pictures from her birthday party at Matt's grandparent's farm:
her present from Matt,
Chunky the Sock monkey



1 comment:
Oh Dee-Ann...how come everything I read on here gives me goosebumps? Congratulations to you all for the wonderful woman Shelby has become. You should be proud of her and she should be proud of you guys too.
Happy Birthday, Shelby.
Post a Comment