Thursday, March 18, 2010

77/365 yet another no soup for you What's for DInner

so good for me, no good for Scott, African Peanut Soup
you may remember this from a post I did a couple
of weeks ago when my friend Margaret made it
for me for lunch.

after many missed attempts to make this
we finally got it together tonight
and Scott whipped it up.

once again, another soup that Scott is not impressed by
but Kaeden and I loved it
this really is one of my favourite soups.

It was pointed out to me by a friend
that there is a very unhealthy amount of sodium
in the original recipe (1179 mg per serving)
so I made a few adjustments
not only to bring down the sodium but
also to make it more suitable for
Operation Healthy Family.

the original recipe is here

my take on it:

the ingredients:

olive oil (1 tbsp)* minced garlic (1 tsp) can of no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained (28 oz) can of tomato paste (6 oz) creamy peanut butter-we used 100% natural, no added salt or preservatives (1/2 cup) reduced sodium chicken broth (4 cups) balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp) cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp) Instant Brown rice (1 cup)** chopped green onions (approx 6) chopped peanuts (1/4 cup).

the how:

HEAT olive oil in a medium skillet, add garlic

STIR and COOK for a minute or so

ADD the tomatoes, tomato paste, peanut butter, broth, balsamic vinegar & cayenne pepper

STIR (or whisk) together

BRING to a boil

ADD the rice

REDUCE heat to low

COVER

COOK for 20 minutes

POUR into individuals bowls

GARNISH with green onions and peanuts

* I have nothing against peanut oil (listed in the original recipe) but apparently the places I shop are not very worldly as I suffered the same fate as when I tried to find Mango Chutney. I decided olive oil would work just fine.

** Minute Rice, even when it is brown rice, no preservatives added, it probably not the best choice but as it takes so long to cook regular brown rice, I found the minute rice to be a good compromise of not using white rice & still getting some benefit from using brown rice.

~ this soup is better on day 2, hence why I am very excited for lunch tomorrow!

No comments: